Thanks to everyone who came out for our Market Sprouts kick off event last week!
We are excited for the rest of a great 2017 market season.
The Alfred Farmers Market will get underway on Sunday, July 9, with ‘Market Sprouts’ activities for kids.
The market will continue until October 29, meeting every Sunday, 11 am – 3 pm, at the Village Bandstand (corner of Main Street and Saxon Drive).
A variety of special events are being planned. Stay tuned for details!
The Alfred Farmers Market (AFM), a “growers-only” market, is hiring a new part-time market manager for the upcoming 2017 season. The market runs from July-October, but the position would require input of hours ASAP for professional development, training, and to attend monthly board meetings to discuss the upcoming season. If you or someone you know is interested, please consider applying.
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter describing your interest and qualifications to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The position is opened until filled. Applications will be reviewed as they are received.
- Passion for local foods and a desire to strengthen the local food economy
- Knowledge of farming/gardening and when produce is in season is preferred
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to interact with a wide range of people
- Ability to lift up to 25 pounds
- Reliable transportation
- Basic bookkeeping skills
- Ability to collect, manage, and analyze data
- Ability to enforce rules and regulations of the market
- Ability to manage conflict
- Strong organizational skills
- Basic computer skills and access to a computer
- Ability to communicate by email
- Punctuality, self-motivation and the ability to work independently
The Alfred Farmers Market Board is seeking a part-time market manager for the upcoming 2017 season. Individuals with a passion for local foods and market experience are encouraged to apply. The Alfred Farmers Market is held on Sundays from 11 am – 3 pm at the Alfred Village Bandstand from July through October. The manager is responsible for attending all of the markets as well as committing hours to professional development and research on related farmers market topics. Compensation for market duties is $12/hour. It is estimated that the manager will work approximately 6 hours a week during the market season and roughly 12 hours total from February-mid-July for training purposes.
Our market provides growers, producers and artisans the chance to sell their goods directly to the local community, while at the same time offering customers a fun and festive opportunity to support AFM vendors and receive a quality product. The market manager is the “face” of the market and is responsible for responding to vendors and customers. The job requires personal confidence and the ability to communicate effectively the rules and regulations of the AFM.
The Alfred Farmers Market is unique to Allegany County in that it is the only “grower-only” market. The AFM requires that vendors grow or produce all the products they sell at the AFM. No re-selling is allowed. Due to this requirement, it is essential for the market manager to understand the AFM rules and regulations to be able to enforce them properly.
- Manager must be available for regular contact via email throughout the duration of their employment
- Must be willing and able to work outdoors and to lift up to 25 pounds safely.
- Enroll vendors in the market-either through seasonal vendor agreements or as daily vendors
- Collect all stall fees owed, make accurate accounting, and give to AFM Treasurer to deposit into market account
- Arrive prior to market vendors and remain throughout the market day to:
- Properly place vendors, including assigning daily vendors a space
- Place market signs
- Ensure all rules and regulations are adhered to
- Ensure all state and county regulations are adhered to
- Answer questions for vendors and consumers
- Resolve disputes that arise
- Maintain market grounds in a safe manner
- Operate market managers booth
- Operate market’s EBT program
- Enroll market and market farmers in the Farmers Market Nutrition Program (FMNP)
- Act as a liaison to the AFM Board
- Communicate market policies, activities and rules to farmers, keeping them informed throughout the season
- Conduct periodic customer counts each market day to assess the level of growth in market usage.
- Assure the market site is clean once the market is closed and the vendors have left for the day
- Maintain database of farmers, vendors, their contact information, and any licenses or permits each vendor possesses based on the products they are selling
- Conduct farm inspections when necessary
Duties- off season:
- Vendor recruitment
- Professional development for market managers
- Work with market board to plan for market growth and development
Read coverage of the Alfred Farmers Market’s Tomato Fest in the Hornell Evening Tribune
The Alfred Farmers Market will get underway on Sunday, July 10, with “Market Sprouts” activities for kids.
The market continues throughout the summer and into the fall, on Sundays, 11 am – 3 pm, at the Village Bandstand (corner of Main Street and Saxon Drive).
Throughout the season there will be special events, including a Tomato Festival on August 28, Harry Potter Day on September 25, and Oktoberfest on October 30.
We hope to see you there!
Alfred Farmers Market invites you to attend our Vendor Training and Recruitment Fair.
Sunday, April 17th
2:00 pm – 4:00 pm
Alfred Village Bandstand (corner of Main Street and Saxon Drive)
Learn about how to be a successful market vendor and meet some of our current vendors.
Also, a chance to purchase local produce, meats and alpaca products, and Eisenhearth wood fired pizza.
The board of the Alfred Farmers Market is proud to announce we have a new market manager, Holly Harris of Alfred.
She will begin her duties soon and will help us plan a great market season.
Please join us in welcoming her.